A few months ago I was visiting some link parties and came upon this recipe for Chocolate Covered Pretzel cookies on Something Swanky. I immediately pinned it so I could find it when I was ready. I recently was ready and boy – am I glad I saved it! This recipe is AWESOME! I took the cookies to one of our Chick meetings where they were well received.
I will say that while this recipe was delicious, next time I make it I’m going to use my chocolate chip cookie recipe as the base. I like the flavor of that base a little better and I think it will kick this recipe up a notch.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Covered Pretzel Cookies
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1 package Caramels, melted with 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 package Chocolate Covered Pretzels (these were tough to find so I ended up buying a package of 100 calorie snack packs and used all six packages)
- Sea Salt, for sprinkling
- In a stand mixer, cream together the butter, shortening, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Add eggs, mixing in between each one.
- Add baking soda, vanilla, and flour. Mix well until dough forms.
- Add the chocolate covered pretzels to the bowl and mix well, breaking up most of the pretzels.
- Remove bowl from the stand mixer. Pour about half (erring on the side of less) of the melted caramel into the bowl, and FOLD it into the dough with a rubber spatula– do not mix it completely into the dough!
- Scoop by the tablespoons onto a parchment lined (not waxed paper) baking sheet
- Bake at 375º for about 15 minutes (the original recipe called for 10 minutes but mine took quite a bit longer. I would recommend watching the first batch to see how long it takes in your oven)
- Drizzle remaining caramel over the tops of the cookies and sprinkle with sea salt.